Monday 5 September 2022

the Gower

Setting out is always a guilty pleasure.  All the things I should be doing at home.  Emailing, or possibly  spamming, friends and family to tell them of new adventures on the blog;  something they may be too polite to "unsubscribe" from.  Leaving Liz at home alone,  bereft and lonely.  Or more likely, like a fish without a bicycle: partying, loading the dishwasher in full random abandon without my sensible guidance, doing just what she likes.

It was a day of hills and rain, with some lovely views in between. The train journey to Gowerton went well. I could have ridden from Swansea but I had a deadline to check in at a youth hostel, so I didn't have time.
View towards Llanelli and Carmarthen 
Arriving at Gowerton at 2.35, I set off round the Gower peninsula, heading west at first, with a stiff southerly breeze.   Nice views back across Llanelli bay to where I was In May, riding tound from Camarthen.  The roads tend to be like forked lightning, with many dead ends to explore, invariably down a hill.
One of the early hills

Weobley Castle
A cafe I'd identified was closed on Monday, but luckily there was a lovely community shop and cafe nearby in Cheriton.  I arrived just as it bucketed down with rain.  Feeling smug, I set off after the downpour, only to be caught by  another torrent of rain.   More hills.

Time was tight.  Should I take the detour to Rhossili?  I had to really, as Worms Head is that way, denoting the westernmost point of the Gower.  It was a good decision.  Lovely views of Rhossili Bay and Worms Head, a tidal island you can walk or swim to depending on the tide.
Rhossili Bay 

Worms head
My planned route to Port Eynon involved a bridleway, which was under water, so a short diversion was needed, but I arrived in time to check in, dump my bags and cycle back to the pub for tea.


View from the hostel
The hostel is lovely.  It's an old lifeboat station, so right on the beach, and a bit out of the village. Self catering only, with about 8 rooms.  The views are wonderful. 

2 comments:

  1. You certainly pick your weeks, Simon. Still, it never rains in Wales, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Port Eynon hostel - my first ever solo youth hostelling. Single speed Raleigh with rod brakes ca 1961. From far away Swansea. I don't suppose they allow unaccompanied minors to stay these days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.