Sunday 15 May 2022

Continuing adventures on Jura

(It seems I never published this post from ... 2017?  Sorry.  Here it is now.)

It's tricky to follow the bombshell news of Odysseus' visit, but I'll try.
I hurried round the Long Road to my B&B, which is called Tigh an Doran: house of the otters. The house was abandoned some time ago and otters moved in. They are still often seen in the garden and on the beach, just across the road.  (Now there is a big Alsatian living here so perhaps they don't visit so much.)
Nice views from the road back to the forbidding side of Islay, and a few groups of deer watched me cycle past without looking in the least bit worried.
There is one pub on Jura, coincidentally called the Jura Hotel, (opposite the Jura Distillery) and I had a nice meal there, with views over the bay and the football pitch, which is also the campsite, it seems.  As I sat down to eat, three young lads were walking unsteadily from the jetty across the campground, with very unsuitable luggage.  One had a suitcase with wheels, another was struggling with two bulky holdalls, and a couple of carrier bags.  The audience in the pub was agog. Were they going to camp? They had just come on the tiny ferry from Tayvallich, a rigid inflatable boat.  The ferryman came into the pub and with a laugh announced that they were all pished.  To our surprise, they managed to erect the tent, but one of them seemed very tired and kept lying down on the grass, to our amusement.

1 comment:

  1. Suspect the 'campers' had tested the Whisky in much the same way that you did at 17! Disappointed there's no photo of the famous whirlpool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.