Wednesday 11 May 2022

Wales, here I come - at last!

It's been nearly three years since I said "hwyl fawr" to Fishguard, back in the balmy days of 2019, when Corona was an old-fashioned type of fizzy drink and PPE was a degree subject.   People shook hands, kissed each other, and blew on birthday cakes.  Since then, Covid has come and (nearly) gone, lockdowns came and went, and then a surge of staycations in September 2021 put the kybosh on my plans for a surprise visit last year.    Youth hostels were closed, unless you wanted to hire a whole hostel (smaller hostels) or a family room (selected hostels).  Campsites were only accepting multi-night bookings.  B&Bs had onerous cleaning requirements between guests, making one-night stays even less appealing than usual to the hosts.  It was tricky to find somewhere to stay.

Will it be better this year?   Well, youth hostels have opened their dormitory rooms again.   As for the rest,  well, I will find out.   I've been practising some wild camping, just in case, which went ... okay ... 

The plan for 2022 (and 2020).   (Fishguard upper left.)

I am ready for action.  In fact I can't wait.  I leave for Fishguard early on Sunday morning.   Nothing else is booked, but there's a welcome in the valleys, and there are plenty of valleys.  And hills.  To celebrate, South West Railways have cancelled all trains from Twickenham.

If you are used to receiving an email every time I post something, unfortunately that won't be happening any more: Google have withdrawn the ability to subscribe to new posts on their blogs.  (Apparently you do still get an email if you previously subscribed.)

If you would like to follow my exploits, please just check this blog as often as you like during the second half of May.    I'll try to post something each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.