Monday 16 May 2022

A Day without Wi-Fi

Completely different  weather today.  After yesterday's  sunny 24 degrees, today is cool, misty and a variety of precipitation, quickly changing between threatening to rain, light drain and proper showers.  It rained continuously  for most of the night - noisy in a tent.  I slept well though, and it had stopped by dawn, when I woke.  I dawdled over packing up, and eventually left to see Whitesands Bay  just down the road.  It didn't  live up to its  name due to the tide being in.
St. Justinians

Zig-zagging round St David's I visited St Justinians,  offering trips to nearby Ramsey Island backed up be a reassuring(?) number of lifeboats.  Then to a tiny harbour, very picturesque in a misty rocky cove, Porthclais.
Porthclais

The road, heading east now, bought me back to St Davids, but it was too early for the cafes to be open.  The cathedral is impressive but nearly invisible until you are upon it, as it's  built in a valley, unlike most of the city.
St David's Cathedral

I hit the rolling main road to Haverfordwest  for a bit, stopped at the larger village of Solva for a full Welsh breakfast with Welsh cake,  and then turned south towards the expansive Pendine Sands, down a massive hill, then back up and over to Broad Haven.  I was exhausted.  By the time I'd climbed over to Little Haven,  I'd only done 22 miles but 700 metres of climbing, a whole day's worth.
Pendine Sands
Broad Haven

Still heading south into the wind and rain, I entered quieter countryside: the hills are a bit less steep and the places seem more off the beaten track.  At Marloes I was lucky to find a pub so stopped for lunch,  just in case.    Good plan: when I came out it was sunny.  But I also found that despite many options for hostels  and camping, very few are available.  In the end I found a farm campsite unexpectedly, set up my soggy tent to dry, and set off south to Dale head and St Anne's head without panniers - bliss!  Lovely roads round there, with expansive views over the sea, with a few oil tankers hanging around for Milford Haven.
Day trips to Skomer, or diving?
Dale Head
Coast path
Coast

No cafés  on the route  - a serious omission - so I rode back to the same pub at Marloes for an early evening meal.   While we're talking omissions: no wi-fi all day today, and my phone needs recharging, so I'll post this without photos and add them later.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are due a few more heavy showers this week. Hope you stay dry and well fed. Camping stoves and rain are not a happy marriage. Good luck on the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childhood memories were made in Little Haven. Long before the days of Gelato bars with 20 flavours of ice cream (ca 1956) there was only vanilla. Except in Little Haven where Blackcurrant was available by pouring neat Ribena over the vanilla cone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.