Thursday 23 May 2024

Devon and Cornwall - looking back

I survived!

Brixham water

Cornwall, you were spectacular.   So many beautiful villages, golden beaches and wild rocky coves.   So many hills!

South Devon, you were gorgeous; brutal, but gorgeous.  Picture postcard villages, the narrowest lanes with the highest hedges and the most flowers.

So many memorable places, that they become a blur.   I will remember the kindness of the people: the Danish hiker who made me a cup of tea at the camp site, all those who asked if I'd cycled from Wales or who took a minute or ten to share their stories and their love of cycling, the young lady in a van who stopped on a steep hill and offered me a lift to the top.  What a cheek - I was nearly there!   

There have been many places where I could easily have spent half a day, or a few days enjoying the surroundings.  If I missed your favourite spot, or dismissed it without much of a comment, my apologies.  It's tempting to spend longer in each lovely place, but the next hill is always calling.  Lots of comments on the blog.  Thank you if you commented, it's encouraging to read your comments, although most of you were anonymous, so I'm guessing who said what.

The weather was gorgeous - I was so lucky.   Pouring with rain until I got off the train at Penzance; a few showers but mostly full sun for the whole time until the last day, when I had the incredible luck (or greed) to be in a cafe both of the times when it pelted down with rain!

For the first time, I camped every night of the trip.  I would have preferred to have had a night or two in a youth hostel bed, but that option wasn't open to me, and the benefit of a B&B bed wasn't worth the extra hassle and cost of finding somewhere.   Camping is so easy and flexible, and close to nature.   Great when the weather's fine.

What's more, I had a cup of tea in Brixham, where the water was contaminated a few days earlier, and survived!

I'll post some maps and a mileage chart in the next few days.   Don't expect to be impressed by the miles cycled, but my legs tell me that the hilliness was memorable.

Till next time!   East Devon, see you soon...

2 comments:

  1. Super record and fascinating detail. Well done with the many hard climbs and continuous camping! Looking forward to the stats and re-reading it all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeleine Shearer24 May 2024 at 12:32

    Agreed. A great journal - entertaining and alarming: all those hills. I hope you have a rest for a few days, but somehow I doubt it…

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.