Tuesday 15 May 2018

Awa' doon the watter part 1

This is my third attempt to post this. The last two have somehow been truncated. 
Grr.
Renfrew marks the end of Glasgow's Riverside conurbation.  A few hundred yards after leaving Tim's I joined a wooded Clydeside path leading almost to Erskine, where I briefly joined the A8 - gulp!  But it was quiet and I soon joined the Old Greenock Road, increasingly undulating as it cut straight across the hills instead of going round them.  It was a purposeful road, connecting Glasgow to the seagoing ports at the mouth of the Clyde, supplanted by the M8 and also by the decline in seagoing trade since the days of empire.  It's a lovely route.

I'll be honest.  I wasn't looking forward to this part of the trip. I half planned to continue past Glasgow last year, but I was still having a torrid love affair with the Highlands, and I couldn't bring myself to continue.   However, after ten minutes I had a big smile on my face and I was convinced that there are plenty more fish in the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.