Wednesday 16 May 2018

To Ayr

I emerged from the oasis of Nardini's  to cold drizzle, which didn't  last long but it stayed cooler and windier.  From Largs it's  pretty flat, and it seems there is a good cycle path (route 7) all the way to Ayr.  Business-like and quick - sometimes alongside a road or railway but almost always with an excellent surface.  In my quest to stay near the coast, I didn't always take it, and regretted it.  The first time was neat Humterston??, Site of two nuclear power stations.  It looked as if I would end up in the power station at one stage but no, a rough track led down the coast. Very rough.  It started with a field, very bumpy, then a rocky track, dodging brick-sized stones. Then deep sand, which meant it was time for walkies, and swearies too. It all ended well, with a nice castle at Portencross.
The second time was leaving Irvine, via the sand dunes as it turns out, and into West Kilbride (more sand).

I got lucky with the wind, which turned northerly, speeding me through various towns. West Kilbride was nice, well-to-do; Irvine seemed more hard working, if that makes sense.  But it had a wonderful café, just when I had given up hope of finding anywhere, about 5pm.  Troon is famous for its golf course, but the main town didn't seem to make much of the golfing connection, or its long south west facing sweep of coastline. 
After stopping in Irvine for tea, I decided to push on another 20 miles so I didn't do much sightseeing - sorry.  I also found a camp site just south of Ayr, and that's where I am now. The campsite energy took pity on me and only charged me a fiver, with hot showers thrown in and free use of the fence to dry my washing.  No wi-fi, and no food either, but I think I'll sleep well.  Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.