Monday 21 May 2018

To Ravenglass

After my fabulous meal I lay in my tent for a while with the door open, watching the sunset, listening to the birds,  and counting my blessings.  It took a long time. I won't list them all (too embarrassing) but I single out the weather, and my health.  Or is that "double out"?  To have a week of dry weather and quite a bit of sunshine, is unexpected and makes everything so much more enjoyable.  And to be healthy enough to do this trip - well, I'm very fortunate.

Anyway, enough of that sentimental stuff.   Climbing out of St. Bees I found an empty clifftop lane, with the sun and a few lambs for company.  Over the horizon loomed the industrial monstrosity of Sellafield nuclear processing site.  A sign on the cycle path warned "Armed Police patrol this area at Unpredictable Times".  I was on an old railway line, looking anxiously in the bushes in case they were lurking there.   Past the most serious security fence I've ever seen, including you-know-where, and then, there were the armed police at the main gate, rather predictably I thought, but decided not to tell them.

Then it was an Exciting Track, bumpy, sandy, narrow, but along the beach edge and bordered with wild roses; a bit of road, and another beachside track which looked tidal to me.  I was in Ravensglass, so I stopped for breakfast at the Ravensglass & Eskdale Railway station, sitting in the sun.   This is what riding round the coast should be like.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.