Sunday 20 May 2018

There's three miles to Gretna, there's three hundred behind ...

(Name that song.)

Late lunch in a bakery sort of café in the town of Annan, before hitting NCN7 again, zooming east with the wind behind me.  I passed the Devil's Porridge museum - something to do with gunpowder?  Gretna was on the signposts - a milestone for me as it's on the border with England.  Exciting!  And sad that my voyage of discovery around Scotland is coming to an end.

Gretna, spick and span, is about half a mile from Gretna Green, famed for runaway weddings and now a very slick money-making machine.  I stopped for tea and say at least three wedding couples tying the knot in that time.  More interestingly, I met a couple who started out cycling the NC500 route, got to John O'Groats and decided to cycle to Land's End instead.  They were camping, with fully laden bikes to prove it.  Good luck to them.

Scotland ended in a whimper, crossing over the river Esk.  No "Haste Ye Back" signs, just the Cumbria, England county sign. 

It took me ten days, and 798 miles, to get from London to Scotland, back in 2013.  It's taken six years, or more usefully 66 days and 4,543 miles to cycle round Scotland and the islands.  Not to mention 5,278m ascent in England, vs. 75,863m in Scotland.  In that time, I've become an ardent fan.

I'm sorry to leave, and I'll be back.

1 comment:

  1. I think we've all come to appreciate Scotland through your posts Simon. I think the scottish tourist board should offer to pay you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.