Wednesday 17 May 2023

Appledore

Tarka Trail



Very flat riding today along the Tarka Trail to Bideford.  Yesterday I used it from Barnstaple to my campsite at Yelland, falling asleep to the sound of geese on the river Taw wetlands.  After a cold night I woke late and it was sweltering in the tent.  Clear blue skies again.  The campsite was still being built, but it had nice showers, and also a brewery which only served campers.  It is run as a hobby by two chemists, ex-ICI.  It was just closing as I arrived, but I got chatting to the proprietor, and he offered me a generous sample to taste.  Very nice.   


Campsite brewery

This morning the Tarka trail continued along the river Taw to Instow where it joins the bigger river Torridge.  Up the Torridge a few moles to the crossing  to  Bideford, a busy, trafficky place spread along the river.   It's the largeplace around so I guess it doesn't have to try too hard.  Down river was Appledore, a very pretty town at the mouth of the Torridge.   Time for elevenses, and contemplating my next steps.
Looking back to Instow (right),
with Appledore across the estuary 

Bideford old bridge

Appledore 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.