Thursday 18 May 2023

Cor! Cornwall


It was "only" 25 miles to Bude.  And "only" 700 metres of climbing.  I don't think there is such a thing as an easy ride round here.
The hostel was a real old-style hostel with a shop selling food and other travellers' requisites.   It was bought in 1948 when the local school closed, and initially run by the former headmistress. I expect discipline was tight and chores were carefully inspected.  Possibly even graded.  The well had insufficient water and so a lady water diviner was called in, and water was found after drilling down 100 feet.  This still supplies the place.

Welcombe

Welcombe

Anyway, back to the cycling. Mainly rolling hilltops but with three fierce combes to provide the hill climbing.  The first, Welcombe, had a solitary house at the bottom,, and a 20% climb out for the first 100 metres of a 200 metre climb.  Not worth it.  I was looking forward to visiting Morwenstow in the second valley, as I'd heard of it as a tourist destination.  A possible elevenses stop. But when I got there, I asked the lady in the pub ("open all day") if they were open, and she said "well ... not really".  The tea shop was more definitely shut.

Coast path out of Duckpool

Duckpool.  No ducks.

Never mind, only one Combe before Bude - Combe valley, leading to deserted Duckpool-by-the-sea.  No cafe, unless you wanted to walk over the cliff to the next valley and chance the opening hours.  

Suddenly, I was in Cornwall.  My visit to North Devon has had its ups and downs, but it seemed to be over quickly.  I went past a top-secret spying station, and at last, I was in Bude.

Top Secret

Bude.  Nice place.  A big, bonny town strangely separated from its beach, well, two beaches,  by a river and a Sainsburys, respectively.   I was in the mood for food, so I had a two course lunch (sandwich followed by cream tea), just because I could.  Also, there are more hills to look forward to.

Bude beach

Bude

I had always imagined Bude as having a massive sandy beach,  but if it does, it's a mile or two out of town.  The nearer beach, a bit of a walk across the river,  is quite small between rocky headlands.  There's no harbour but there is a sea lock opening to  canal.  Interesting and unusual.


1 comment:

  1. Can’t find Westcombe there’s a welcome ? Brian B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.