Monday 15 May 2023

Goodbye, Exmoor

What a day!  Only a pathetic 30 miles, and an unimpressive 1050m of climbing - I think it was six of the threatened 14 climbs.  But it was a full value day, very scenic with lots of reasons to stop to take pictures,  and several lengthy cafe stops.  And maybe Exmoor climbing counts for more somehow?  The weather really helped, a cold (head)wind but warm sunshine, bringing out the colours.   The hedgerows, very tall around here, are a riot of red, white and blue, no doubt specially planned for the coronation. 

Lynton town hall

I sat in a nice cafe in Lynton, relaxing in the knowledge that there were a surprising four hostels in Lynton, according to my research.  But no, when I eventually raised energy to decide which one to book - they were near Lynton, but not in Lynton.  Most involved going back the way I'd come, which wasn't going to happen.  Everywhere's either up or down from Lynton, even other places in Lynton.  No nearby campsites either, except one up a big, off-route hill.  I settled on a guest house in Lynton, so an easy night for me.   Lynton is a nice town, apart from the hills everywhere.  Even the town is on many levels, making for confusing navigation (for me at least).  In the guest house I met a fellow traveller, John, who was walking from John o'Groats to Lands End, in three indirect stages, includingthe West Highland way.  He gave us a fairly graphic account of his six blisters.  His luggage was being transferred to his next night's accommodation for him, which sounded appealing.

Valley Of Stones

Lee Abbey - Crosses on the hill

Lee Bay

After Lynton came a couple of miles of the nost spectacular coastal riding.  In perfect sunny weather, I descended through the Valley Of Rocks, past Lee Abbey, a Christian community, to beautiful Lee Bay, on another toll toad.   After that, things could only go up, so I climbed up through the trees to the high moors, and along the top for a bit before descending to the Heddon Valley.




Down to the Heddon valley

Immediately I climbed almost vertically to Trentishoe, "not suitable for vehicles".  It was not suitable for a loaded bike either.  Finally it eased off a bit and I just had another 100m of climbing to my final summit in Exmoor, 301 metres high and possibly the highest place I will visit in the rest of my coastal trip?  I had done 450m of climbing in 7 miles.  It was time for elevenses,  which I had in Combe Martin, in the next valley.


The last Exmoor peak

Combe Martin 

Goodbye Exmoor, it's been memorable.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear your adventures, Simon. Coming from South Devon my knowledge of N. Devon isn't so good. Wow! All that cycling up and down dales (or combes). Does this fitness translate into trombone blowing power? Nicky

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.