Monday 22 May 2023

John o'Groats to Land's End

Lands End to John o'Groats, or the reverse journey,  is a cycling classic challenge ride.  It's 800, 900 or more miles depending on the route.  Anyone riding it in one go has to be very fit.  Super-humans aim to do it in ten or twelve days, about 80 miles a day.  Most people take two or more weeks.
Eileen Sheridan, who lived in Isleworth  until she recently passed away aged 99, cycled it in 2 days, 11 hours and 45 minutes in 1954, smashing the women's record.  (She continued after JoG to break the record for 1000 miles, a record which stood until 2002.)

I have also completed John o'Groats to Land's End now, but at a more relaxed pace.  It's safe to say that no speed records have been broken.

It took me just under ten years - that's 88 days of cycling and a few days off in between.  My scenic coastal route was 6,033 miles, with 105,029 metres of climbing.

22 May 2023
 
The route

11 July 2014

1 comment:

  1. I've loved your journey Simon, lots of places that I've been to and more that sound so nice I'll have to go back again to see them too. Congratulations on making Lands End. As always, I'll look forward to the next instalment! Lots of love, Jean x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.