Saturday 19 July 2014

An unexpected break in Thurso

As a result of missing the ferry to Hoy, I had a free afternoon in Thurso, which happened to be hosting the Caithness County Show.  It was very agriculture-focused,  with rows of pens of rosette-bearing sheep, cows and bulls. Impressive amounts of shiny farm machinery.

Everyone seemed to be there - young girls competing with great concentration in the highland dancing, accompanied by a teenaged boy piper in full highland dress.  Older girls leaping onto running horses in the ring and then showing every which way not to sit on a horse.  Nobody was trampled.  Exhibitions of flowers,  school art, photography, baking.  More baking. There were marquees full of  mouth-watering entries. 

The rest of Thurso is fine but it's just a town. A CTC winged wheel outside the Pentland Hotel.   In the museum,  a core from the nuclear reactor at Dounreay, surprisingly small at about 25 cm across and 1 metre high - considering it could produce enough power to supply the whole of Thurso.   I was glad to have bought my lead-lined radiation-proof underpants with me.  You never know when you might need rhem.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Simon - a great ride. I've really enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.