Saturday 19 July 2014

The old plan of Hoy

Lerwick looked lovely as we left.  On the ferry, an unexpected treat: we were trailed by the coastguard helicopter for half an hour, hovering maybe ten yards off our beam, rounding off by winching a man onto the ferry, and then off again.  Five hours and 150 miles later, I was back in the welcoming arms of Kirkwall Youth Hostel.

I had a cunning plan for today, involving three ferries and Hoy.  I had to leave early for Stromness, get the passenger ferry to Hoy, cycle its length down its only road to Lyness, and back on the car ferry to Houton.  Careful study of the timetables told me that I had to be on the 14:00 ferry off Hoy, so I would be in time to cycle back to Stromness for the last ferry to the mainland at 16:45.  A cunning plan indeed but with enough contingency to just cause a frisson of excitement at the delicious possibilities of getting stuck on Hoy, or Orkney.

I got to Stromness an hour early for the 10:00 ferry, left my panniers in the left luggage, at £3 not as good value as Bixter post office, but well worth it for a windy day's ride.  Found the right ferry, already waiting at the pier.  Just time for a cooked breakfast and cuppa, perfect.

Or not.  When I returned at 9:45 I had difficulty locating the ferry.  Found the place but no ferry.  Inspection of my carefully prepared plan: "Ferry Stromness to Linkness 7.45, 10.00, 1600 (Sat/Sun 9.30 & 16:00)".  Oh.  There was no way to get to Hoy and get back to the mainland today, Saturday.  That's the trouble with plans - they create expectations, which can lead to disappointment.   Sorry, Hoy. Another time, I hope.

Collected panniers,  £3 for an hour not cycling, caught the 11.00 ferry back to Scrabster for an afternoon at leisure in Thurso.  Buying my ticket, I was asked, for the first time ever,  if any concessions apply. 

As we left, we passed the little ferry returning from Hoy.  Lovely views of Hoy's cliffs and the Old Man as we sailed by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.