Sunday 13 July 2014

Kirkwall

Returning from the north-western corner of Orkney, against the wind, wasn't so much fun. It started raining.  It was only a shower luckily but I was glad to get to Kirkwall, the capital.  En route I was cheered up by the welcome sign to the hamlet of Evie, which the local boys had changed to Evil.  More empty single-track roads with views of bays and islands, accompanied by the sight and sound of groups of beautiful oystercatchers.  Orkney has 73 islands, 16 inhabited.   I think most of the 23,000 population lives in the two main towns of Kirkwall and Stromness.

The youth hostel is big, with long, low buildings,  military in origin - during the wars the navy was stationed at nearby Scapa Flow.  "Please allow ten minutes for hot water to reach the showers".  But there was a very warm welcome from Dave the warden, who lives here with his wife and two small boys.  What a life (in a good way).  He's also the maintenance man in winter, and a part-time rock climbing instructor.

Due to trains, ferries and alarm clock malfunctions, I'd only managed four hours sleep the last three nights, so I went to bed at 9 for a luxurious ten hours' sleep.

The forecast for tomorrow was for heavy rain all day.  And windy.  I was considering my options.  When I woke it was pouring and low clouds enveloped the hills.  But the forecast had changed. Dry after 10am.  I was welcome to leave my panniers and get a shower before boarding the Shetland ferry at midnight. Yipee!

PS. Outside the Birsay Bay tearoom, my second lunch stop, must be one of the shortest stretches of de-restricted road. About 50 yards leading to one house, the tearoom, and a grassy footpath.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos Simon - good on yer! If you're passing back through Kirkwall, pop into the cathedral and see the ship's bell from HMS ROYAL OAK, sunk in Scapa Flow at the beginning of WW2.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.