Monday 14 July 2014

Go South ... young man??

Lerwick, like Stomness on Orkney, is made of stone buildings stretching along the waterline, with many tiny alleys leading to the water.  It is surrounded by hills.  Big hills.  Like the Lake District, but perhaps not as high.  Whereas Orkney has little winding roads, my impression of Shetland is of wide double track roads sweeping up and through the hills.  The traffic is faster but not that busy, and motorists give cyclists a wide berth.

My destination for today is the far south, Sumburgh head.  So first I did a detour West over the hills to the port of Scalloway, hosting an enormous floating hotel (for oil workers?) and across a couple of small islands to Hamnavoe.  The Nordic influence is everywhere with many Scandinavian road and house nsmes.  Back to the café at Scalloway where I was teased for locking my bike,  The esplanade there is called Da Waterfront.  And there was a wooden bench labelled Skall Air Departure Lounge.  I think it was a seaplane service, or possibly a practical joke.

Back over the large hill snd south: more hills and a few detours, still following national cycle route 1.  Lots of small groups of chalet houses with children playing in the garden- school holidays are earlier in Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.