Thursday 10 July 2014

To Helmsdale

Today was perfect cycling weather. Blue skies dotted with cotton woll clouds. Unfortunately I was still on the train.

I  had luck on my side though: shortly after my last post, the train manager invited my to move to a berth, so I slept in first-class air-conditioned comfort.  Not for long, as I was up at 5am to try my luck on the 05:30 to Glasgow - successfully. I was allowed to load my bike on condition that I would get off if anyone with a reservation came along.  

Lunch in Glasgow and another train to Inverness, arriving at 15:30 after a stunning panoramic journey through the Cairngorms, patches of snow dotting the high mountains.  My bed for the night awaits, at Helmsdale Youth Hostel, only 97 hilly miles away... 

For the whole journey I wrestled with the possibilities.   At my fully loaded speed it would take about eight hours.  Sunset is late in the far North so it would still be light.   The Cromarty ferry ran until well after I could get to it.  But the cake shops would all be closed - and I wouldn't be able to stop for long anyway.   Would the Youth Hostel still be open at midnight?

It was not to be.  A gap in my circumnavigation - very disappointing. 

What to do with a 2.5  hour wait in Inverness?   Well, a short sightseeing tour, enjoying the glorious sunshine (grrr), and then a bite to eat?  Step forward Mr. Wetherspoon.  Oh -curry night, with a free pint? All right then..

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.