Wednesday 23 July 2014

Hills thereafter

Round and round the rocks the ragged rider rode ... My legs were feeling a bit ragged after yesterday.  The first 10% of the ride is usually the toughest,  I told myself .  Scenery like yesterday, only on a bigger scale.  To my right, a powder-blue sea peppered with rocky islets.  To my left a loch set in a rocky bowl, a raft of wild waterlilies for decoration.  The verges; an explosion in a paint factory: purple, yellow, white splattering the green.  And straight ahead, a big hill.  It's best to look to the sides.

It was hot, sticky even at 9am.  As I descended towards Kylesku Bridge huge mountains hove into view, dominating the shimmering sea loch. Stopping to admire the view, a sign welcomed me to Assynt; the North West Highlands Geopark; the Rock Route.  Paradise for geologists.  I will spare you the details but it was a gneiss view.

My notes said "hilly thereafter".  No joking!  After descending a pretty wooded valley beside a gurgling stream, the road flirted with the coastline, up and down with the occasional glimpse of the sea through the trees.  Then it started.  One in five up, down, and repeat for maybe ten miles.  The horse flies could easily keep up with me on the ascents.  On the descents I was too busy braking to swat them away.  Lovely views though.  And at Dunbeg, a welcome "secret tea garden" serving home made lemonade.  By elevenses, I had already done as much climbing as in a normal Wayfarers day ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.