Sunday 14 June 2015

A flying visit to Skye

The ride to the Kyle of Lochalsh was great.  Over to Lochcarron and then, leaving the Gairloch coastal route, to Strathcarron which is on the railway line from Inverness to Kyle. It felt like a new stage of the journey.   Along the loch side, following the railway: should have been a doddle but some serious hills had been put in by someone.

I took a detour to Plockton, a south facing village said to have a Mediterranean climate.  Not today.   There was a cold north wind, which had helped me down the loch, but despite its charm I didn't want to linger too long.

Although I tried not to have a timetable this year, the ferries still have one, and I had a choice of tomorrow (Sunday) at 9.30 or Monday at 14.30, which would leave me with NO ferry options in a couple of days' time.  Uig was still a way away but I decided to aim for Portree.  A popular tourist destination,  on a Saturday.   Nothing was available,  so I'm camping ... just like in Southwold two years ago, only in a proper campsite with showers.

The journey here wasn't fun: on the busy A87 with a strong headwind most of the way, the kind where you keep your head down and don't look at the view, but I should be ok to get the ferry tomorrow.   And there was a fabulous light at sunset.

I love Skye but this hasn't been a stopping trip...that will have to be next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.