Tuesday 9 June 2015

Welcome to my blog

If you're new to my blog, welcome!  To get a taste of what you'll find here, skip past all the boring maps and mileages below and look at some of the posts and pictures from the journey in 2014 or 2013.   Regular readers know what to expect:  a series of moans and groans about wind, rain, etc. plus descriptions and some nice pictures of far-flung places.  I aim to post something on here every day.

Baking Ullapool, late July last year
It hasn't really started yet.   I'm all packed and ready to go.   Couldn't sleep last night, dreaming of hills, bike breakdowns with consequent long walks to civilisation, and other possibilities.   The general plan for this year is to get the sleeper train to Inverness, and a bike bus across to Ullapool, where I finished last year.   From there I resume my journey south, with some massive hills in the first 160 miles, and then head across Skye in the general direction of the Outer Hebrides, which seem to be quite extensive.

Last year I explored the Shetlands which had very little accommodation, so I booked everything in advance.   The Hebrides are different: there seem to be plenty of hostels and campsites, so I haven't booked anything beyond my first night.  What could possibly go wrong??  But not many places to eat, so I'm taking a heavy bag of food, just in case they don't have food in Scotland.   See you on the road.

2 comments:

  1. Hope it goes well Dad - and fingers crossed for the weather! Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping track of you Simon. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.