Friday 19 June 2015

Becoming a tourist

I reluctantly said goodbye to Great Bernera, after a quick detour via a small harbour and several more hills. Rejoining the main tourist route to the Butt of Lewis,  the first attraction was Callanish with an impressive neolithic stone circle and cruciform extensions,  accompanied by a less impressive visitor centre and tea room.   The wind had dropped sufficiently for some very hungry midges to appear.

I'm looking forward to flatter riding to the north and then back to Stornoway tomorrow.  Meanwhile tonight I'm staying in a blackhouse hostel at Gearannan, a whole village of blackhouses; another tourist attraction.   I'm not quite sure what to expect but a blackhouse is so called as it has no windows, and the smoke of the fire makes everything black!  I hope there are a few modernisations.

*edit* They do have electricity.  And wi-fi. And showers. There are lots of cyclists staying here.

And, I forgot to mention that I met the knicker-nabbers in the Callanish visitor centre,  with their partners. ..didn't mention their misdeeds though.

3 comments:

  1. You're getting to some very interesting places, Simon. Maggie and I are enjoying the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great no one else is wearing your underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great no one else is wearing your underwear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.