Thursday 25 May 2017

Around Loch Fyne

As I got ready to go, a couple of German cyclists were getting their luggage ready to go. A mountain of panniers, tent bags and other stuff.  They were looking, well staring, enviously at my single pannier.  We swapped info about mileages, length of trip, etc - they are here for six weeks so they had to bring everything.
The loch was a mirror, with sunlight pouring through a small hole in the cloud at the head of the loch - where I was headed.  The thought of the Germans' panniers propelled me round the head of the loch.  Still very little traffic, considering this is the main road from Glasgow to Oban (which incidentally I was quite close to after the long  ride north along the loch).   Tiny Loch Gilp  on the other side passed in a pathetic instant. 
The weather forecast is for sunshine and 18°, but I think God was having a lie-in, and He only switched the sun on around ten o'clock.
After elevenses at Strachur, the sun came out properly and there was an enchanting 15 mile ride along the single-track B8000.  Weare Street on steroids.  Sea on one side, moss-encrusted woods on the other.  I passed a good sized village hall, the Strathlachan Community Centre.  Parking for maybe 30 cars. But no houses anywhere in sight. After half a mile there were four four neat cottages, white painted with pastel detailing, the only clientele for the community centre.  On the loch, mist was rolling in again, but it was mostly confined to the opposite bank.
After 15 glorious miles, I came to the appropriately named Pub By The Sea at Otterferry, and the loveliness knob was turned down from 11 to about 9.  It got seriously hilly.  A row of wind-felled pines mooned at me, baring their flat bottoms to the road.
I visited Portavadie (the other side of the Tarbert ferry), although it was out of my way.  The morning ferries had been cancelled due to fog, and the evening ferries too, due to low tides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.