Friday 26 May 2017

Over To Dunoon

The rest of the day's ride was a struggle: twenty miles over a couple of hills to Dunoon.  It wasn't a long distance, neither were the hills specially big, but it was very hot and sticky. 24° at 6pm today, possibly 28° earlier.  I didn't need those leg warmers after all. Not many views on what was mainly a forestry road, and no cafes to break up the journey to the east of the Cowal peninsula.  Emerging into the valley, Holy Loch was spread out before me like the Promised Land, only a few miles to go to Dunoon, overlooking the junction of the Clyde with Holy Loch.
There was the option to continue back round the base of the peninsula, a thirty mile round trip on a dead end road. Stuff that. I was hot, thirsty, tired and my legs had gone on strike. It was straight to the B&B.

Dunoon's a big, nice town. Multiple shopping streets - that big.  It has a (tourism) centre with piers, formal gardens, castle etc, and biggish houses strung out for a mile either side along the esplanade, mostly B&Bs and guest houses. Definitely back in civilisation.  Sun is in the wrong place for photos - maybe tomorrow.  
A very carefully calculated recovery meal to ensure I'm in tip-top condition tomorrow. Chicken (protein), plus rice AND spuds (carbs), and of course cauliflower (because you have to) in the form of a chicken muglai with aloo gobi. With appropriate hydration, of course.  I'm just not sure about the portion control aspects.  I know you need to eat a lot of calories for intensive cycling, especially where hills are involved, but I'm not sure stuffing yourself to a standstill is the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.