Wednesday 24 May 2017

Inveraray

Easy riding up the lochside, although the mist turned to drizzle and the view of the other bank disappeared.  At Ardrishaig the puny Loch Gilp turns off, a pimple on the back of the mighty Loch Fyne.  It's also the other end of the Crinan Canal, so I followed the towpath,elevated a bit above the main road, for a couple of miles to Lochgilphead, which is - oh, you already know.

The dreich weather continued as I continued my atmospheric ride along the loch.
Despite what you've heard, it is not a long way to Inveraray.  Long, gradual ups and downs on a good road, not much traffic, nice views on a sunny day (I guess).  Plenty of cafés.  But it might be a long way from Inveraray tomorrow.  I would say it's a well-to-do place, with an impressive high street, several touristy shops, a nice castle, and a famous jail.  Good youth hostel too, if a bit smelly.  Just in front of the Inveraray Shinty Club.
After two recommendations, I ate at the George Hotel. Excellent food and service despite​ being packed: it's a well-run money-making machine, and they deserve to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.