Wednesday 17 May 2017

Cake-away!

Nice ride round to Tayvallich, where I'm staying tonight.  It's an attractive, sunny village spread along a sheltered bay off Loch Sween.

The coastline round here has lots of fingers pointing south and a bit west. Tayvallich is at the top of one of those. There is no reason to cycle to the fingertip, but I did anyway, against a continuing fresh wind.  Jura is very close to here, and you could see it raining over there.

On the way back, I noticed a hut by the road, with a notice "Cake-a-way". It was a self-service cake shop with maybe ten types of cake, all​ cut into portions, and an honesty box.  What a great idea!  At least one of the cakes was delicious.  It seemed a very remote place for such a well-stocked shop, about a mile out of town on the road to nowhere, but while I was there I met the lady who runs it, a mother of three small boys.  She told me people find her on Facebook (search for Cake-a-way) and plenty of visitors to Tayvallich get recommendations from the locals.  There should be more of these.   It started to spot with rain, so I retired to the local pub, shockingly, at 5pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.