Sunday 28 May 2017

Conclusion

I'm not quite ready to finish this year's trip, but I'm not ready to continue either. It took me ten days to cycle from London to Inverness, and then about 55 to cycle round the Highlands and Islands.  It's got under my skin: perhaps I've become a wee bit Scottish.  I'm not ready to move on yet.
When I wrote "The Final" post yesterday, I wasn't sure how to sum up this trip. After sleeping well, I woke early full of special memories.  The varying views round every corner, the downhills, the sunsets, the invisible cuckoo who followed me round, the lines of hawthorn trees across the landscape, glowing white blossom in the sun (when it shone), the centuries-old moss on the stone walls.  The amazing, fierce looking and sounding, but lovely people.
Last night Tim and I talked about the character of the four main islands.  I only have an inkling after such short visits, but they are all fascinatingly different.  You'd have to spend more time getting to know the people, the history, the politics and economy, and the land itself, to have an informed opinion. Especially on Jura, where The Long Road" only just touches the island as a whole, with its mountains, teeming rivers, and remote west and north.  Following the coast, there's plenty you don't get to see. But an uninformed opinion is fun too!
I haven't travelled far, as the cuckoo flies, from Oban. Going by bike lets you go far enough for variety, but slow enough to look around, and see the little things: the oystercatchers and the voles, the gannets diving for fish, the farmer making hay; the smells, good and bad. Time to stop when the opportunity arises, for a photo or a cafe, a chance to think about why things are as they are, and to appreciate the many things people do to make their place special.

Travelling alone has pluses and minuses.  It's great to go with friends, but, alone, you're more inclined to get into conversation with strangers, most of whom have interesting stories, if you can understand the accent.  You live more in their world.  Being alone, you can sing at the top of your voice, imitate a motor bike zooming round corners, or other inappropriate behaviour that might lead others to think you were a bit bonkers.  I don't do any of those things, of course.
Incidentally, you may have noticed that random words in these posts have been underlined: I have no idea why, or how to fix from my phone. Sorry about that.
I'll post some maps and mileages in the next day or two.

2 comments:

  1. So that's what the arandom underlining was all about - just when I decided that you were sending a secret message and I'd be able to extract them all and rearrange them into tomething prosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, what a fantastic trip ...... I have loved every minute of it ..... I think it was a bit tougher for you than it was for me but that is the joy of the ups and downs of cycling in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.