Friday 26 May 2017

Where to next?

If you have been studying the map, you will have noticed that it gets tricky after Dunoon.  There are several more lochs off the north of the Clyde, and they don't have roads all the way around, meaning going back (over a hill) to previously travelled roads. If that sounds off-putting, bear in mind that one of the lochs is called Loch Long, and at the top of it is Arrochar, famous for the so-called Arrochar Alps.
So - when does the coast turn into the river estuary?  The only acceptable answer is "when I say it does". I'm going to make reasonable efforts.  So the plan is to avoid Loch Long (and Holy Loch) by taking two ferries, to the south bank of the Clyde and back to the north. Round Gare Loch and then into Glasgow, which is the official finish point this year.  Unless it pours with the threatened rain tomorrow, when the route might terminate early at a train station.

I actually had a plan to continue further: round the Ayrshire coast, but you have to go a long way before you get within reach of a station, and in any case, I have loved the Highlands so much - it seems only fitting to close this chapter properly.  Besides which, I've run out of toothpaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.