Monday 15 May 2017

Onward and Downward: South West Scotland


South west Scotland has a lot of coast
Another year, STILL cycling round the coast of Scotland.  I'll be setting off for Euston in the dead of night tonight, catching the first train to Oban, where I capitulated last year amidst midges and drizzle.  Heading south again: there is still rather a lot of Scotland left to visit, including the isles of Islay, Jura, Arran and Bute - it promises to be a fascinating journey.

This year I'm armed with a bag of cunning plans:  the first of these is to go in May instead of June or July.  Allegedly the climate is drier and less windy in May - on average.   And the first half of May was lovely - 20 degrees and sunny most days, while we shivered in London.  

The mainland and islands between Oban and Glasgow are sparsely populated, especially when it comes to places to stay, so it's been quite a puzzle to work out how to do a reasonable distance each day and still have somewhere to sleep.  I produced a masterpiece of a plan after exploring many options, most of which involved unreasonable distances in very hilly terrain.  The masterpiece includes arriving in Oban mid-afternoon tomorrow and cycling about 40 miles in the afternoon.  However, the two possible places to stay after 40 miles are both closed for renovation, so I will be cycling 60 miles instead.  Starting at 15.30.  Still, this is where the fun begins!  

I'll try and post every day if I can get online, so please do visit the blog once in a while, or subscribe to email updates on the right hand side (you can unsubscribe at any time).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Simon I will try and follow your progress best of luck with both accommodation food and weather! Not sure if I told you but I did Outer Hebrides with Peter Suothworh and South Bucks CTC some years ago. It was exceptionally dry but quite windy. We drove from Peters House to Oban 500 miles in 10 hours via the Lake District!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email updates are on, and we're waiting for the adventure to unfold ...

    Have a great trip,

    Mark 'n Maggs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy! I shall be following your blog with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Simon you seem to be doing very well keep up the story, I envy you for the scenery. How do you travel so light with one lightly packed panier? When I last visited the western isles we also met some canoeists, they were from Norway or was it Holland but they said it was the best canoeing in the whole of Europe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.