Wednesday 24 May 2017

Tootling up to Tarbert

Mist rolling in from the sea this morning. Tick: been there, seen that.  After a doze on the early ferry back to Claonaig, I set out on the road to, well nowhere in particular, around the shore to Skipness, where I chanced upon a castle dating from around 1300. And while admiring the rather fine turreted house next door, I realised there was a deer right in front of me, among the tables of the less fine café (look carefully at the photo).
It's a gentle, dank, autumnal May morning.  Lovely day for going nowhere, enjoying the smells of pine and wild garlic. After ten miles, I'm back at the ferry terminal, ready to head to Inveraray.

... Following which there was a short intermission, a few hills and I was back at Kennacraig, from where I'd set out for Islay five dsys ago. Still zig-zagging. Just across the peninsula is Tarbert, on Loch Fyne: a nice mix of working fishing town and marina, a welcome elevenses stop overlooking the harbour.  From Tarbert you can catch a ferry across Loch Fyne to Portavadie, missing out an 86 mile circuit around the head of the loch.  But where's the fun in that?  I'm off to Inveraray.

1 comment:

  1. Must have taken you ages to line up all those shells along the top of the wall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.