Saturday 25 May 2019

A close shave

Now dear reader, you will remember that our accident-prone adventurer was leaving Aberporth at 6pm on a bank holiday Friday with only a croissant in his tummy, nothing in his legs, and no idea in his brain where he was going to sleep that night.

Things looked up a bit, hill-wise, as they seemed to get gentler after the Aberporth Eiger.  It was nice top-of-hills cycling to Gwbert, on the mouth of the Teifi Estuary, which meant the big town of Aberteifi, aka Cardigan, was only a few miles Inland.
Teifi estuary

Cardigan is up there somewhere

There are lovely views over the estuary, but Cardigan itself remains hidden behind hills or a bend in the river.  There was a running race going on between Cardigan and Gwbert, and, embarrassingly, I was overtaken by some of the runners on a hill into town.

Cardigan's a nice place, but I was in a bit of a rush to get sorted out with food and somewhere to sleep. Both quite difficult as it turned out.  First I got trapped in the one-way system, then couldn't find anywhere that looked promising to eat, so took advice from a local, found a pub and ordered a meal.
Cardigan

Options to stay were two campsites within ten miles, but neither was contactable. Or a youth hostel at Poppit Sands, down the other side of the Teifi estuary. Also not contactable, and it was too late to book online.

I decided to head to Poppit Sands, as one of the camp sites was there too - I would try whichever I got to first.  It was now about 9pm, half an hour before sunset, and the light on the estuary was amazing, so I had to take a few photos. 

The YH and campsite were up a big hill (surprise), and as I ascended I was surveying my options for wild camping. All the fields were on a steep slope down to the river.

The youth hostel came first. I ran in and met the warden, who was just trying to get away for the night.  So here I am, in a superb hostel looking down over the beautiful estuary as night falls.  I am counting my blessings tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Still cycling at 9pm?! Bet you were sooo glad to see that warden

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.