Thursday 16 May 2019

Back to Douglas

I was away by 8, but stopped immediately as the leisure centre cafe was open.  The north east of the island is different from the south - it seems off the tourist track, and less hilly.  Very quiet roads, even the main A3 from Peel to Ramsey.  Although I was near the sea, I only got a few glimpses of it until the Point of Ayre, the most northerly point, where there's acres of sea in most directions.  Although it's still sunny, there is a fresh easterly wind today, not a helpful direction.
Point of Ayre


Ramsey
Just over half way and I rode into Ramsey, along a deserted promenade. Ramsey has a beautiful situation with the river winding through the town, so it was strange to see the prom so empty.  The town itself was bustling though, and I found a nice cafe for lunch.
Maughold Head

After Ramsey, the hills returned with a vengeance. I was back in the 'south'.  Mind you, it was my own fault for not sticking to the (very quiet) A2 Ramsey to Douglas road, which largely follows the Manx Electric Railway, so it's flattish.  I went up to Maughold point (a bit pointless, but more acres of sea and a nice lighthouse.  Then a couple of beautiful, horrid glens, one with a full 100m climb requiring bottom gear all the way, so over 20%.

Laxey was my tea stop, famous for its giant waterwheel, called The Laxey Wheel.  "One of the world's greatest monuments" - it is pretty impressive, maybe 100ft in diameter, dominating the valley with the big fells behind it  Laxey also has a tea room, where I'm sitting in the sun writing this, and watching the trains go by. It's a veritable Mecca, or should that be Clapham Junction, of trains.  There's the Manx Electric Railway which goes from Ramsey to Douglas, the Snaefell Mountain Tramway, which goes to, er, Snaefell, and the Mines Steam Train, which goes up the valley to the mines, somehow connected with the Wheel. If I find out how, I'll let you know.



As you can imagine, with all that going on, Laxey is a tourist hotspot, with tearooms and gift shops all over. But hardly any tourists, yet, so it's rather nice.  As I left (down the glen)  I discovered it also has a nice beach, a separate village, which adds to the attraction.

A few more climbs, a few more miles, and I was coasting into Douglas and along a mile or so of promenade.

I've found it difficult to get the measure of the Isle of Man.  It's main industry seems to be tourism, which it does well. They are obviously proud of their heritage, and  there's quite a bit to interest tourists, and of course the TT races are massive.  The campsite owner at Peel was dreading TT week: his site will go from a single tent (me) to three large fields full.  Dozens of temporary campsites open just for the races.  I was a bit disappointed that I didn't discover any hidden gems, as in Scotland.  All the attractions are well publicised, so you know what you will get.

It's been an enjoyable two days. Tomorrow morning I'll be on the 7:30 ferry back to Liverpool, and my campsite is a few miles out of town, so it will be an early start.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the photos and the blog!! ..... you are inspiring me to dust down the panniers and get back on the road later this year ..... enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab photos Simon. Is the camera on your phone? Bring back happy memories of IOM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.