Saturday 25 May 2019

More hills

I have appreciated the dual-language signs in Wales - it gives you an idea of what some of the words mean. No help with pronunciation though.  I mean, how do you pronounce Trewyddel? Or Yr Wyddfa (which means Snowdon).

There were a few more cars on the roads today.  The farmers are preparing a special welcome to the holidaymakers: I counted at least six muck spreaders in the first eight miles, by which time I'd already climbed 375 metres.  The hills aren't getting gentler.  But I am now in Pembrokeshire. The Pembrokeshire coast path starts roughly at Poppit Sands YHA.

It (the coast path) must be lovely: all those tiny rocky coves with deserted beaches, interspersed with fine views from the high clifftops.  I wasn't enjoying it quite so much, even though it was a similar theme.
Small beach

Even the tiny beaches had a few people on them today.  A gorgeous cove at Cwm-yr-eglwys had a few walkers getting ice creams, a few people launching a motor boat or two, and a handful of families spread over two pocket handkerchiefs of beaches.  A ruined church with graveyard filled the space between the beaches.  Oh, how I enjoyed the scene. I was expecting a hill on the way out, but this one was labelled Unsuitable for Motors, taking small steep tacks up the hill.  It was so steep I couldn't keep my front wheel on the ground, and had to walk a bit of it.  I'd estimate it was probably a 60% gradient.
Cwm-yr-eglwys

After a few more similar, I was wondering how much more of this I could do.
There is a railway station at Fishguard, and then no station until Pembroke Dock, another 100 miles, or possibly three days at my current speed.  So that was it.  
Fishguard

Fishguard
Fishguard is the end of this year's instalment.  I hope to return to Pembrokeshire next year with fresh legs.  Campsite for tonight, and ticket from Fishguard to Twickenham, via Cardiff and Reading, tomorrow.

The legendary (and feared) Stick dance
Now - what to do in  Fishguard on a bank holiday weekend?  There's a Folk Festival going on - I'd already enjoyed watching some Morris dancers doing the Stick Dance, something the Big Boys (10 year olds) did when our junior school did its maypole dancing.  

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant Simon!! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences ..... I have binge read the last few days of your trip and I am now in desperate need of tea and cake!! .... psychosomatic I am sure!! Many congratulations and enjoy Fishguard ...... that may be your hardest challenge yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know a road with a 60% hill was even possible - you must be mad! We did Maypole dancing at Brownies this week. Much safer than stick dancing. Have loved the blog once again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased you're enjoying the ups and downs of the coastal roads in Pembs.! No wonder you had to walk a bit - with a heavy touring bike it must be tough going.
    My turn next week - unladen of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.