Thursday 23 May 2019

Mountain trains!



This has been a good tour for trains.
Leaving  Barmouth over the long railway bridge, I was on part cycle track, part main road, following the hills round the coast to Towyn. I searched in vain for a suitable cafĂ© until, just as I was nearly leaving town, I encountered the Talyllyn railway terminus, with steam train about to depart.  They always make a good photo, and there was a nice cafe too.


Just a few miles further bought me to Aberdovey, facing south onto the massive estuary of the river Dyfi/Dovey. A nice looking, long and thin village between river and steep hills behind.
Aberdovey


Polling station

   For some reason they forgot to build a bridge across the Dyfi, which means a long ten miles up to the bridge at Machynlleth.  I have been practising how to pronounce Machynlleth for a few days, and it still doesn't trip off the tongue.  Had lunch there, in a cafe that didn't seem especially welcoming to an Englishman in a Scotland cycling jersey.
Machynlleth

On the way back down the other side, I met two other cyclists, local mums who had taken the day off between dropping off & picking up their children at school.  Nice chat about the area and our various cycling exploits.  When we reached the sea again, at Borth, I stopped for cake & they stopped for ice creams.  I noticed a fearsome road going up the hill, and they delighted in telling me it was 25% all the way up. They were heading up the valley, back home.
Borth

Fearsome hill overcome, and it's gentler sibling just afterwards, I was plummeting into Aberystwyth, past the university and the National Library of Wales.  At the bottom, guess what? A cliff railway, back up the hill I'd just come over.  I don't think they took bikes though.

Aberystwyth.  Massive.  Two, or maybe three promenades, depending how you count them.  Lovely place.  There was too much choice (and a bit of a complicated one-way system) for a tired and hungry cyclist.  Even though it was still early, I decided to stay overnight.  There are three hostels: one on the seafront and very expensive, one connected with the university, and I think unavailable to me.  And the third is two miles out of town, on a flat road.  Only the hostel is being decorated, so the owner offered me a special B&B rate in her adjacent guest house.  I should have carried on and camped really, but I was emotionally committed by then.
'Two proms' Aberystwyth. Main prom.

'New' prom

2 comments:

  1. That's Ivor the engine country isn't it. Did you happen to come across Ivor and 'Jones the steam''? Great to see all those steam trains out and running

    ReplyDelete
  2. New RAF 100 paint job on that train, Dave (my Steam train expert at work) knew immediately which train it was. Incidentally it has also been 'Douglas' in Thomas the Tank Engine for 100 years - Little known fact!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.