Tuesday 21 May 2019

Anglesey's gentle side

Being back on Anglesey felt like being back on the mainland.  The west side couldn't be more different to the east. Pancake-flat, not so many beaches, sunshine, and a tail wind made for easy, fast cycling.  Quiet roads, a track through a forest, all lovely.  As I started to head south east, I could see big mountains of Snowdonia on the horizon.



But I needed food. At Newborough, I had to settle for a milk shake and a banana as no cafes were open, but it worked for me.  At 17:30 I made the rash decision to book an actual hostel, in Caernarfon, still 25 miles away.   Rather unwillingly, I took a detour down to Menaifron on the south coast, and was greeted by my destination, Caernarfon, bathed in the evening sun, just across the Menai straits.  I just needed to get to the bridge, and back, which was strait-forward as it turned out.



New Menai (expressway) bridge

Old Menai bridge

Excuse the brevity. It's late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.