Tuesday 14 May 2019

Don't start from Warrington

If you're planning a trip round the coast, I wouldn't start from Warrington.  Granted, it has advantages: less than 2 hours from London, and a good Wetherspoons if you have a long time to wait for your train.
But...the 'coast' between Warrington and the Wirral is not designed for tourism.  It's heavily industrial: nice if you like chemical plants (and there are some who do!).  There are also a lot of busy roads squashed in near the coast, so ride planning involves zig-zagging, with a quite a bit of speculative use of tracks rather than roads.
It all started well.  Great weather, a smooth ride into London; the train arrived at Warrington early, and I set off within five minutes.
Within ten minutes I was lost - well, not lost exactly - I knew exactly where I was: in an old industrial estate criss-crossed by lethal old railway tracks.  There was just no way to get to the bridge over the river, that I could see very well through the six feet high locked gate.
After a long conversation with a local, he had given me three options to try, and I'd already forgotten most of his helpful directions.  Eventually, down a promising road, which was closed as they were still building it, then onto a footpath, carry the bike over a railway footbridge, and I was off! 


I thought it would be nice to ride down the Manchester Ship Canal to see all the big boats taking wares to foreign lands, but I was doubly disappointed. Not a single ship, not much of a view of the canal, and a dreadful surface to ride on, so you had to devote 90% of your time to missing potholes.  At least it was quiet.
After five miles, a bridge across the Manchester no-ship canal, and I was in Runcorn, where I attempted another cycle track to avoid a main road.  This didn't go well either.  I think the area was being redeveloped, and the dirt track petered out several times, necessitating detours onto other dirt tracks.  It was all good fun but rather slow, and not very coastal.





After the river Weaver, things looked up.  Frodsham was a nice market town (and an excuse for a late elevenses).  After bypassing few more coastal oil refineries and the M53, and a failed TWELVE MILE detour to visit the famous Eureka Cyclist's café (it was closed), I entered The Wirral. 
The Wirral is properly set up for cycling.  There's a Wirral Circular Track which follows the coast. It's scenic, and quite well signposted.  Within minutes I came across a divine view at Eastham Ferry.

Through Port Sunlight Park, South Tranmere, past the Hotel California pub, and I was in Birkenhead!  Liverpool was gleaming in the evening sun. I caught a ferry 'cross the Mersey.  Well, I had to really.  The ferry to the Isle of Man goes from Liverpool, not Birkenhead.


So, not a perfect start to the trip.  But it was eventful, and there's plenty of room for improvement.  Please come back tomorrow - I guarantee a more scenic report.





1 comment:

  1. I see no ships!

    (On the numerous times I’ve crossed the Manchester Ship Canal on the train to Liverpool I’ve never seen a ship).

    If you want to see a ship you’ll have to get on one: the Royal Daffodil - Mersey ferry, does ‘scenic’ trips along the Canal during summer months. Not to be missed if you like views of oil refineries!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.