Monday 20 May 2019

Holy Island

I woke to a sunny morning - Monday. I can hardly believe this is my seventh day already.  Nice small camp site in Church Cove, again run by actual people.  When I rang to book last night, the lady advised me to eat in Cemaes, so I visited Wales' Most Northerly Pub for a huge meal including a mountain of new potatoes, which I then struggled to care the last ten miles to the campsite.  It was nearly dark when I eventually got into my tent.
This morning I found more quiet lanes to take me to Holyhead, overlooking the bay with just a few rabbits and pheasants for company  Who knew Holyhead was on a separate island? Not me.  Holy Island, not to be confused with the Lindisfarne one, is another nice little island.
View towards Holyhead

Holyhead itself is quite a small town, with a big port, plus railhead and expressway leading to it.  Ferries go to Dublin, Belfast, Cork and the Isle of Man, and one was just leaving as I approached on the joint cycle routes 5 and 8, which I assume end here, unless they continue in Ireland. The port is protected by a huge harbour wall, over a mile long. 

Looking back from the end
Of the harbour wall

After a filling breakfast I went in search of Welsh cakes, as suggested by Ged  I couldn't find any in the Co-op but they did have five choc chip cookies for a pound,. Welsh cakes next time.
 
The rest of Holy Island is, unsurprisingly, quiet.  Avoiding Holyhead Mountain, I was treated to a series of small rocky coves with sandy beaches, and blue, blue sea sparkling in the sunshine.  The only big beach is Trearddur (Arthur's town?), looking lovely with a big sandy beach.  There were even a couple of bikini-clad girls sunbathing. In my journalistic quest to check the facts for you, I nearly fell off my bike.

South Stacks lighthouse


Trearddur

Not so hilly round here.  A couple of military jets thundered past, and took me back to my Top Gun moment in Lossiemouth.  Back to Anglesey over the so-called Four Mile Bridge (reality check: 100 yards max) I arrived at RAF Valley, the source of the jets, and, I presume, where Prince William worked in Air Sea Rescue.   The prospects of lunch weren't great so I stopped in the Costcutter in the midst of all the RAF facilities.  Still no Welsh cakes. Do they even have them in Wales?


3 comments:

  1. Not usually hard to find Welsh Cakes, Simon. You get 'em in convenience stores and garages - sort of places where you find Ginsters. Little pack of half a dozen or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve found that Spar do a pretty mean Welsh cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had welsh cakes and from memory they're like Scotch pancakes but with raisins in them and dusted with sugar...so not difficult to make when you get back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.