Tuesday 21 May 2019

Caernarfon

Hi, it's me again.  I'm in the hostel in Caernarfon, slightly concerned.  The hostel is lovely, superb situation directly inside the city wall from the waterside. No problems there. No, the thing is, I'm in a dormitory, you know six bunk beds.  Nothing unusual about that, but this one is mixed.  There's just me and a young lady.  That's their policy, you see.  But - the hostel isn't full: as far as I can see there's just one other male in the place. So why not put me with him?
Anyway, I'm just a bit concerned about protocol. Does one get undressed under the bed sheets? What if I need to go to the loo in the night?  What if I snore, or, even worse, er, break wind in my sleep?  What if she does??? I'm regretting having that blowout curry now.

Ah well, you live and learn - I hope...

Caernarfon by the way is an amazing place.  Approaching it along the waterside, you are greeted by this massive, I mean half a mile long, castle wall.  It's so big that it's hard to photograph without stepping back into the water.  But on careful study, I think it's actually a smallish walled town, with a castle on one end.
Entering Caernarfon



The effect is hugely impressive. Inside the walls, you are walking around the old streets, say, looking for somewhere to eat, and you look up to see this huge castle at the end of the street.  It's much better than the stamps, for those of you old enough to remember them.
I looked through the arch in the wall, not name-dropping but you know, the one outside our hostel, and there was the most amazing atmospheric sunset.  I'm not sure the picture does it justice.
Outside the hostel

Sunset outside the hostel


1 comment:

  1. Overnight stay in a castle(sort of). Not a bad little rest stop. Looks absolutely lovely. Hope you had an uneventful night in the hostel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.