Tuesday 23 July 2013

Aberdeen

Inverbervie was just a mile further along the coast path, with no rain and good views across the bay, but I'm glad I stopped where I did.  After that it was back up high again, a long enjoyable stretch on tiny, empty roads in the thickening mist. Past ghostly Dunottar castle before descending to Stonehaven, with a picturesque harbour and a good tea shop.  It also claims to be the birthplace of the deep-fried Mars Bar, so it definitely has historic importance.

Just the final stretch of 20 odd miles to Aberdeen.  But the first nearly ten miles were on the busy A90 main road into Aberdeen,  across the tops of the hills, in thickening mist.  It was horrible, although all the traffic gave me a wide berth - I just went as fast as I could to get it over with.  And this is the route that NCN1 recommends.  Awful.  And I won't even mention the RIGHT TURN to get off the A90.

Eventually into Aberdeen round the headland with a couple of oil rigs just off the coast.  The harbour was the busiest I've seen the whole trip with a huge ship just easing out theough a small gap between two other giants.  Dropped in at the station and was abje to book my train home from Inverness. Hurray.

Then up to Tim's where I was made very wecome by Tim and Chris.  It felt like a homecoming, albeit a rather soggy one.

1 comment:

  1. Good ride, Simon. You've gone a very long way. Looks like Scotland, now, though.

    I'm off Wayfaring today - bit cooler, only 25 or so ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.