Wednesday 17 July 2013

The hills are calling...

Wednesday today - the Wayfarers will be out cycling today. I'm with you in spirit.   Weather sunny and cool with an onshore breeze. Good times.  Rose early without the lark (or pigeons). The Helpful B&B chap was Happy to do an early breakfast and threw in some porridge as a bonus.   Riding along undulating country lanes near the sea through villages such as Skipsea, which I did.

Elevenses at 9.30 at Bridlington, a proper fishing town with a nice harbour.  Another reason to be cheerful is that I got here without the need for a toilet stop.  I think yesterday's bargain breakfast had a little something extra in it, as I had to stop several times in Hull.

Over hill and dale with a slight headwind to Flamborough Head, with nothing but a lighthouse, a great view and a high feelgood factor.  Then Filey, a lovely Edwardian town built overlooking the sea with a nice prom, donkeys and café. 

Scarborough was only a few more miles, hilly ones but worth it.  It's set in a South-facing curl in the cliffs and as I entered from the south on what was almost a Royal crescent of grand houses, there was a grand view to match over the town with its sandy beach and harbour.  

Now the hills really start. The next 20 miles are along a disused railway track along the coast to Robin Hood's bay and Whitby.  It is reputed to have a bad surface but ia said to be better than the road, which is narrow, busy and hilly.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Simon. Never really occurred to me you'd get this far and you've only been going a week. Love reading the blog.Keep it up. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.