Thursday 18 July 2013

Strange happenings in Whitby

Whitby is set in the steep-sided valley of the river Esk, a fishong port with many attractions.   High in the south east cliff is the old abbey, a beacon to ships and souls.  The town is the birthplace of Christopher Columbus [edit: I am informed that it was in fact Captain James T Cook, not Columbus - sorry!], discoverer of much of the New World, and Bram Stoker wrote 'Dracula' here. Pilgrims come from all over to honour both of them, and there are several Goth shops to assist the latter.
Whitby is also the fish and chip capital of the world.   I counted probably 20 shops without exploring half of the town.  So I had to sample them.  AsI was carrying the hot tray to find somewhere to sit, a seagull dived from behind me and knocked the lot out of my hands, where the rest of the flock joined in the ill-gotten gains.  Huh.
As I climbed back up the hill to the B&B I was surprised and captivated to see the sun setting over the sea ... in the North?  It turns out the coast goes sharply north west here, and I was treated to a spectacular sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.