Wednesday 17 July 2013

Yorkshire

I've made it to Yorkshire, specifically East Riding.  I noticed the accents changing around the Humber and the people seem hale and hearty, happy and in my experience,  helpful too.  Hexcuse the halliteration.

I headed up the coast, eventually reaching Cleethorpes, just at the end of the Humber estuary, which has miles of golden sand and was a nice place to sit in the sun for a late elevenses.   I learned that the Humber drains 20% of England. Fact of the day.
 
Deciding to avoid Immingham I took an inland route to the bridge and was shocked fo encounter hills!  Before Cleethorpes the highest since Sandringham was 13 metres, yet here I was soaring up to a still puny 70 metres.   The bridge is quite impressive and leads you to within a few miles of Hull, where very late lunch was taken, and the very helpful people in the Tourist Info Centre found and booked me a B&B in Hornsea.

Hornsea was about 15 miles away across country by a disused railway line.  Which is a long way on a bumpy track.  It's a sedate town with a quiet seafront and, surprisingly,  an 'outlet village' of some sort.  It's also the end of the trans-pennine cycle route so I'm told. Back in the B&B, batteries are charging and all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.