Friday 26 July 2013

After words - thanks

There are many people I want to thank for help and inspiration for this trip.
First, I owe a debt to my great friend Rob Steele, who sadly died of a heart attack in 2009, aged just 51.  His family generously gave me his Dawes Super Galaxy bike, which has been everywhere including this trip with me.  Rob would have loved this trip and I'd have loved his company.  The adventures would have been double, and the jokes twice as bad.
I'm riding London to Paris in September in aid of British Heart Foundation, with Rob's daughter Sarah.   If you'd like to sponsor us, we would be delighted.  Click here for my Virgin Money Giving page.
Thankyou to the Wayfarers, who have given me the practice, experience and encouragement to do a long trip.
Thank you to my brother Peter who originally had the idea to cycle round the coast, and gave me the inspiration.
Thankyou to Liz for letting me go.  Now - will she want me back?
Thanks to everyone who's read the blog. Sorry for the verbosity, the over-used superlatives, the blurred photos, the bad jokes, but it's been good to capture the experience and know someone's interested.
To the motorists, who were invarably respectful of the guy on the bike, from the horrid A90 to the smallest loch-strewn lanes.  I never felt any motorist put me in danger.
Thanks too to my bike. No failures, not even a puncture.  Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.
And to Wetherspoons, for providing dependable wi-fi, hydration and cycling fuel at very good value for money.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I 'll have you back !!!
    Thanks for making my birthday special by travelling overnight from Inverness to get here in time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.