Wednesday 24 July 2013

In the Mist

That's the story of this morning.  Riding along a misty road, somewhere in Scotland.  Mile after lonely mile.  Not even a potato for company.

The day started badly.  After sleeping well, I got up to a dry morning.   There was a flash and a crack of thunder, and the rain started.  And then, would you believe it, I had to make my own breakfast?  Luckily the rain stopped as I was leaving Aberdeen, port still busy with a couple of large ships heading for the harbour, lights blazing.

After Aberdeen I did see the sea once, after 35 miles at Boddam, a tiny down-and-up village that consisted of an army cadet base and a lighthouse.   Also passed a river estuary at Newburgh where Tim had taken us on a previous visit to see the seals.  I think today was their day off.

The main event of the morning was when a fly hit me in the mouth. Another violent episode.  Cue song of the day: 'I know an old woman who swallowed a fly /I dunno why she swallowed a fly /perhaps she'll die'.  Younger blog readers may like to know this is a humorous song where the lady swallows larger and larger creatures to catch the fly. I listened to it on Family Favourites on the Light Programme, in the olden days.  Come to think of it, if you're a younger reader, you shouldn't be wasting your time in the internet.  Especially if you're called Sarah - you should be out on your bike!

I also found the answer to the cycling nutrition problem I posed earlier.  Such was the interest that the blog went wild with two comments posted.   I can say definitively that rice AND naan bread is not good cycling fuel.  I waited 40 long miles for a café. Eventually at Peterhead, the first big town, I found one which serves deliciously unhealthy sausage rolls.  I can't tell you much else about it, as I was only looking for cafés as I came into town.

1 comment:

  1. Heading for Inverness huh? pretty ambitious Simon. What time is the train you booked.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.