Tuesday 19 July 2016

A little piece of heaven

Don't tell anyone, but the Ardnamurchan peninsula is gorgeous.   From arriving at the coast yesterday afternoon, I followed a delightful road winding along the loch through trees.  Sun, yes sun, turned the colours up to 11.  Amazing views up the loch.  I spotted a seal watching me from a few yards offshore.
The Ardnamurchan Bunkhouse is a rather refined place (for a bunkhouse). A single en-suite room for £24.  We stayed up late to spot the pine marten that comes every night to feast on peanuts, just a few yards from the bunkhouse picture window.  He didn't show before we gave up, but we saw  a dozen red deer grazing close to us, not a care in the world.

This morning, continuing along the lochside, a golden eagle crossed the road ahead of me at tree height.  Followed, at lower altitude,  by a toad, and a slow worm.

"Summer Scorcher" announced Carol on the morning forecast.  And it is too.  You can keep your 34º London.   I'm delighted with dry, let alone the low twenties which have arrived, for one day only.
More beautiful views of the loch, and then the road turned inland around an old volcano. Now the scenery changed to wide open alpine meadows with friendly gradients.  Over the top and past loch Mudle (really) there were views north to the small isles: an Eigg-shaped lump of rock in the foreground,  backed up by Mull snd Skye.
Detour time. I hid my bright yellow pannier, with difficulty, buhind a tussock of grass.  From the pass, I coasted all the way down to the, er, coast: Fascadale, three houses and a beautiful stony cove.  Then over a few hills to Ockle: just a farm but a lovely spot.  Back over the top, retrieved pannier which was being guarded by a lamb, to Kilchan, where I'll get the ferry later. But first,  elevenses in a craft shop, and a bit more messing about.  There's no hurry on a day like this.  Almost makes up for the last couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.