Saturday 23 July 2016

The lure of the Oban road

Fort William is HUGE.  Compared to where I've been recently. It has a High Street. Just imagine.  Quite long too. At the far end - a Wetherspoons pub.  Amazing.  The first since Wick, in 2014. And I didn't even go in that one.  So that's breakfast sorted out.  I have run out of porridge, something which has been worrying me for a while.  JDW porridge, with honey and banana. Inspired.  
There is really only one road into Fort William, the busy A82.  I didn't like the look of it on arriving by bus two weeks ago.  In the event, it was quiet on a Sunday morning, if not particularly attractive. Early morning drizzle soon stopped but low cloud obscured the other side of the loch.  My leg seems fine today.
Twelve miles on, the main road departed inland, and it was just me and the (still main) road to Oban: quite picturesque, mainly for the near side of the loch.  A tarmac'd cycle path, an old railway line, wove along the same route, but the road was so quiet that it was hardly worth using.
Halfway.   The isle of Lismore dangles like a chrysalis off the coast, attached by a passenger ferry.  Why not?  A road runs the ten mile length of this agricultural idyll, but surprisingly there are no views of the loch except at either end.  There is an iron age broch, a fortified circular stone dwelling, overlooking the sea on one side - I've never seen one up close before.  And a museum, craft shop, and café.  It seemed to be quite a happening place, just not on a Sunday.  

The last 30 miles took forever.  I realised that I am back in the land of mass tourism: caravan parks and chip shops.  Finally made it to Oban, just as the drizzle returned. 
Thank you for your company, and your comments, on the trip. I'll post some maps, mileages, and maybe some closing thoughts, if I have any, in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. Have enjoyed reading your blog and sharing a peace of the tranquility . Looking forward to seeing u soon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.