Friday 15 July 2016

Uig

I woke in my cosy B&B to horizontal rain outside.   I took full advantage of everything offered for breakfast but eventually had to leave. It was a day for indoor pursuits, not cycling.  Even visiting craft shops had a slight appeal.  Tiny Dunvegan has several, and at least six cafés, all eager to welcome wet tourists.
If there was a silver lining to this particular unending cloud, it was that the 20 mph wind would be behind me most of the day.  I had a couple of dead-end trips planned: the first was to Trumpan head north of Dunvegan.   Easy pedalling along the lochside with the wind behind me: even going up the hills was a breeze (geddit??).  Nice views across the loch to where I started.  It seemed to be brightening up over there.  At the end, a car park with half a dozen cars, occupants still inside. No view, and no obvious way to get to the head itself, so I came back, into the howling wind.  Back at Dunvegan there's a castle, home of the McLeod clan for 800 years, and said to be well worth a visit.
My other dead-end trip planned for today, 20 miles to Waternish, involving a farm track, was unfortunately cancelled due to lack of interest, and excessive weather.  Instead I headed along the main road towards Portree, exchanging the quiet single track roads with interesting hills and views for the opposite.

17 miles of fighting the wind and rain, no fun.  After rounding the base of Loch Snizort (great name!), it was north all the way.  The rain had mellowed to misty drizzle, and with the wind behind me it was suddenly quiet, a little bubble of calm.
Continuing yesterday's farming theme, tonight I'm at The Cowshed, Uig.  A boutique hostel, no less. Nice place: modern and with a picture window for watching the ferries acacross the bay. I booked in at about 4pm and headed for Uig.
Things to do in Uig:
1. Catch a ferry
2. Visit the ferry terminal
3. Visit the pottery shop, next to the ferry terminal
4. Visit the Skye Brewery shop, (ditto)
5. Eat and drink at one of the five places near the ferry.
6. Visit the small general store (ditto)
7. Fill you car with petrol.
8. Watch the ferry.
I tried the petrol station café.  It was fine, except that I bent my fork trying to cut my baked potato.

2 comments:

  1. I would have been happy with the pottery shop and the tea shop !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh ... touch of deja vu here, Simon. Almost fifty years ago, when Maggie and I left Broadford, we went to Glen Brittle. And it began to rain ...

    I'm sure things have changed in the meantime, though...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.