Friday 22 July 2016

How so you spell Ardnamurchan backwards?

Today I'm thinking about Frank Cubis, a much missed member of the Wayfarers cyclists.  Sorry I  can't be there to say goodbye,  Frank.

Several locals have asked, with some concern, how I'm finding cycling on the single track roads.  This is often followed by stories of how the traffic on Mull is crazy since the ferry prices were reduced by 2/3 this year.  Well, I didn't notice any traffic. It seemed extremely quiet to me, and the single track roads are normally wide enough for a bike and a car to pass safely.
Halfway to Tobermory is the only bike shop on Mull. It was closed, but I think the proprietor saw me and arrived within a couple of minutes to open up and quickly see to my bike.
Crowds of foot passengers on the ferry, going to the Kilchoan highland games for the day.  I stopped to have a look.  There was nothing happening, but everyone was out enjoying the day.  Chaps in kilts manning the barbecue.  The adjoining community centre was stacked high with goodies.  While I was sampling them, I was treated to a lecture on how 'some cyclists' behave round here, by a local school bus driver, shop owner, builder, sheep farmer, and road safety campaigner.  I'd missed the sheep judging already.
Up, up, and around the volcano, enjoying the views in all directions.  I passed the local ice cream van, hurrying to Kilchoan.  I wonder how far he'd come.  Saw a sea eagle, lazily circling on a nearby volcano-side.  Ka-ching!  Full house, nature-wise.
The miles back along the lovely lochside road passed easily, with me singing the Scottish boy scouts' anthem, Gin Gan Ghillie.  AND I saw the Loch Ness Monster. Really. Photographic proof below.

1 comment:

  1. Hadn't heard of the Scottish boy scouts'version before! Good pic of the monster....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.