Sunday 17 July 2016

The inglorious retreat

For my last day on Skye, I had planned a 40 mile circular ride via a tiny ferry from Kylerhea to Glenelg on the mainland, over a hill said to be enormous, steep and twisty, to Shiel Bridge and then back on the main road to Kyle of Lochalsh.
I'm a bit ashamed to say that I wimped out, partly due to the weather forecast of continuous heavy rain and strong wind.   Also, my lightweight waterproof, which was so good in previous years, has turned to be more lightweight than waterproof.  Probably the right decision, but it's a shame. 
Instead I loitered in Broadford as long as possible before setting out on the 14 mile journey retracing my steps towards Armadale where I arrived by ferry on Tuesday.  I'm staying at the Flora MacDonald Hostel just outside Armadale.   Flora is, as I'm sure you know, one of the most famous Gaels, son of Ranald MacDonald (really), and famous for helping Bonnie Prince Charlie evade capture in the Western Isles during the Jacobite uprising.
The Sleat peninsula has limited places to eat, so I revisited the Isleornsay hotel bar. Last time it was empty, but now it was standing room only, at 4:30pm: a guitar and banjo duo entertaining an increasingly lively and chatty crowd.

(Picture taken on my previous visit.)

1 comment:

  1. That's a real shame. Its a beautiful road. I walked it 50+ years ago and drove it 2010. The ferry schedule is a bit " when ferryman feels its worth it" though which would not have added to the pleasure on a foul day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.