Monday 11 July 2016

Rail Replacement Service

Words to strike terror into the heart of every train-cyclist.  The policy is that only folding bikes can be taken on trains.  Quickly, I started to list the folding characteristics of my bike. I was finished quickly too.  If my bike featured in Bicycle Top Trumps (an excellent game by the way), foldability would not be one of its winning characteristics.  Plans B, C, and D were developed, involving overnight stays at Glasgow or Inverness, and/or improbable amounts of cycling to catch up with my plan.

At Glasgow, only an hour late after two '... on the line...' incidents, there were already two other cyclists waiting for the bus, but amazingly we were all allowed on, and found ourselves in Fort William, 43 miles from Mallaig via The Road To The Isles, five stars on Trip Advisor: 'a stunning evening drive', at 3pm, with another bus promised at 4, but no promises of cycle carriage.  Still, it wasn't raining, and there was a café.  Things were looking up.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! I do get to see the comments but it's not easy to reply when I'm on a ride.